Muzzily Muddled

The life and times of a 30-something recent law school graduate trying to understand the past, figure out the future and scrape through the present in one piece.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Early Signs of Summer

No, I'm not crazy.  I realize it's 50 something outside and it's been generally gross and un-spring-like, much less summery.  But, there were a few signs around my house today that we are moving along in the year and getting closer to summer, and I do always love those first signs.

1.  My mimosa tree finally has noticeable leaves.  The mimosa is always the last tree around our property to leaf out, and to me it means that all the early signs of spring are already past.  The hubster will tell you that this tree is a giant pain, and it is.  It sheds four times a year and makes a gigantic mess.  But it is so, so gorgeous in the summer when it is in bloom.  Stay tuned, because I will most certainly post pics in the future.



2.  The first Stella de Oros are in bloom.  I'll be the first to admit that they are in an awful location for blooming, since they almost always are in shade were we planted them.  But, it's a perfect location to have some lush green foliage from spring through fall, and that's why I like them.  The few blooms I get are a bonus.


3.  The hubster drove his motorcycle to work for the first time this season yesterday.  It's been so rainy and gross of late that he hasn't been able to until now.  But it's a treat to see his bike in the driveway all ready to go.  I only wish mine could join, but sadly there is something wrong with the starter and I haven't gotten her to the shop yet, so it's 4 wheels for me still.  :(


4.  Finally, I ate the first baby crop from my vegetable garden!  The last few years we've planted mostly tomatoes and peppers of various kinds.  We've had some eggplant too, and one year I planted a zucchini in a bed by the house.  Since then that spot has been filled by a lovely plant whose name escapes me at the moment, and my little corner vegetable garden just can't fit any kind of squash.  But, I digress.  This year I wanted to change it up a bit to help the soil, and planted garlic, onion, broccoli and radish.  The last two were planted from seed, so I'm going to have to pull a bunch to give the others room to grow.  I pulled a baby radish this morning, and it was DELICIOUS.  Mmm.  Radishes.

1 comment:

  1. So jealous of your garden! I have not had time (or any nice weather) to plant mine yet. It's currently an empty giant mud pit in the back yard that the dogs roll around in. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete