Muzzily Muddled

The life and times of a 30-something recent law school graduate trying to understand the past, figure out the future and scrape through the present in one piece.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ah, sleep. Wonderful sleep.

Sometimes I really wish that I could sleep the way my pups do.  Seriously, how awesome would it be to have the option to sleep wherever and whenever, like this:



Alas, I have no such skill.  I'm a terrible sleeper.  I sleep so light that usually when I need to roll over or move at all, I wake up to do so.  It's a great night when I only wake up two or three times!  Sometimes I'll wake up at 2:30 or so and be awake for a couple hours before I can get back to sleep.  Or, it might be that each time I wake up, I'll only be awake for a minute or two.  I'd say on average, I wake up 5-10 times every night.  But, there have been nights where it's every half hour or more often, and I hate those nights!!

I also have a lot of trouble falling asleep.  Usually I need something that I can listen to that helps me shut off my brain.  It used to be disney movies, lately it's an audio book that I know almost word for word.  There's something about shifting my mental focus onto whatever it is that I'm listening to that helps me drop off.  Otherwise, it might take me up to an hour to fall asleep, sometimes longer on a bad night.

Anyone else have trouble sleeping like I do?  Up until a few years ago I thought it was normal to wake up so often during the night.  The one good thing that I see about it is that whenever we have kids, I'll be a lot more used to the nighttime feedings and whatnot, since my body is already long used to sleeping in short intervals.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment